urbanest Westminster Bridge Road scheme gets the go ahead from Lambeth Council
- Accommodation for more than 1,000 students, a school, flexible workspace for ‘start up’ businesses, a gym, swimming pool, cafe and landscaped gardens
- Located next to County Hall and Waterloo Station in the heart of central London, overlooking the Thames and the Houses of Parliament
- Within walking distance of a number of London’s world renowned Universities
- Follows the success of urbanest Hoxton and Tower Bridge – with urbanest King’s Cross to open in summer 2013 and St Pancras in summer 2014
- Westminster Bridge Road, scheduled for completion for the start of the Academic Year in September 2015, will be urbanest’s fifth scheme in zone 1
Designed by award-winning architects AHMM, the scheme will deliver 1,093 student bedrooms, a 65,000 sq ft school and 4,000 sq ft of flexible, affordable work space for small local and start-up companies – alongside a gym, swimming pool, café and landscaped gardens.
The urbanest Westminster site is located on Westminster Bridge Road next to County Hall, walking distance from Waterloo Station and the South Bank, with views across the river to the Houses of Parliament.
A variety of new and innovative room types for the student accommodation and a broad range of price points will be coupled with tailor made communal study areas and a one-off common room that will have views, from the top floor, of Parliament, The River Thames and the London Eye.
urbanest has also teamed up with educational provider Alpha Plus Group who will establish and operate the school (DLD College London) which will have the capacity for up to 700 pupils with state of the art educational facilities, providing specialist teaching in science, IT, art, music and drama.
Johnny Manns, MD at urbanest said:
‘We are delighted to get a resolution to grant planning permission from Lambeth Council to deliver this world class student accommodation-led scheme in such an impressive location. The
mix of student residential, business, education and leisure uses all on one site will provide a welcome boost to the local economy and deliver an important element of the wider regeneration of the Waterloo area. Globally, London is one of the major centres for educational excellence and we are sure that urbanest can complement the educational experience with an unrivalled living experience for students in the capital.’
Richard Purchase of Alpha Plus Group said:
‘This exciting new development will provide a home for DLD College London, which will incorporate our existing colleges, DLD College and Abbey College London, where we offer A Level, GCSE and a range of other programmes. DLD College has a heritage stretching back over 80 years in London and our new setting in Lambeth will create London’s first bespoke sixth-form boarding college with top quality, en-suite accommodation on the site.’